Pages

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

the thoughts of a month in one outpour...

I realise I did post last night, but there were lots of other thoughts dying to come out so here goes...

Christmas day...
We had a lovely Christmas. We spent Christmas morning at home reading the Christmas story, opening pressies and having breakfast with two excited little girls. Then we headed to my parents for the rest of the day with much fun and laughter to be had. Christmas is never a small affair for my family as I am the oldest of 5 kids. When you start to add partners and the three grandkids + gt grandparents it is bound to be a busy, bustling, noisy time. I love it like that though - it adds colour to every family occasion.

off on our "beach" holiday...
as we termed it to Isabella... We headed up to Matauri Bay Holiday Park on the 27th Dec to go camping for a week. Matauri Bay is approx 30mins north of Kerikeri in the far north. It is absolutely stunning! My parents came as well and Isabella and Hannah had a great week bonding with their grandma and grandpop. Great friends of ours Brett & Kristen and their little boy Rhys also came up on the 29th and stayed the rest of the week. We feasted on pipis (which were abundant) and if asked, I'm sure Brett will be happy to share his secret pipi sandwich recipe! The conclusions of all were that (a) 1 wk was not long enough, (b) lets do this again next year!


Saddam's execution...
which happened while we were on holiday. While I have heard sighs of satisfaction from some, I personally feel it has achieved nothing. A terrible dictator has been brought to justice but to what end? Big debate I know... eyes for eyes, teeth for teeth - what does it actually achieve?

Daniel Knights...
Reubens hairdresser - my hairdresser (Sarah)'s brother. They own a salon together. I have been going there since my physio study days - perhaps 2000 - thats 7yrs. And now my mum goes there, my grandma started going there, my sisters have been there for ball and wedding hair... An easy going, friendly guy who I knew loved to party. Going in there I looked forward to the latest stories and antics. We shared our news and laughed and said goodbye till the next hair cut. He is 25 - or at least was 25. His partying cost him his life this new years just gone... I keep coming back to him in my mind - he is so alive there, I find it devastating and just keep on thinking what a waste...

Termination of an ectopic pregnany...
an acceptable form of abortion? I was surfing the net and came across a site with photos of birth. The site administrator gave a lengthy explanation about why she had included a video of a laproscopic procedure to remove an ectopic pregnancy
(those who need an explanation, this is when the embryo doesn't make it to the mothers womb and instead embedds itself into the lining of the fallopian tube. There is no way the pregnancy can survive and the mothers life is at risk if it is not picked up as the fallopian tube will go on to rupture as the baby continues to grow).
She decided to include it as she rationalised that this was this baby's birth. I decided to watch the video and sure enough a tiny eight week old baby is clearly visible during the procedure.

The moral code I hold dear includes my strong feeling that I would not ever choose to have an abortion. In saying this, I have never been in a difficult situation and put in the position where the choice is in front of me. Ectopic pregnancy presents a new realm of thoughts to the black and white view of abortion and if you haven't got it already, here it is.
  1. A baby growing in the fallopian tube of its mother has no chance of surviving to birth due to the very nature of where it is growing
  2. by not surgically removing / terminating the pregnancy (or as I see it - baby) the mother risks losing her life and potentially leaving her other children motherless and leaving her husband partnerless
Termination of an ectopic pregnancy - an acceptable, necessary (yet in my mind still abhorrent) form of abortion... There you go Frank - has anyone come up with this one in your many abortion discussions in the green room?

Sorry to end on such a cherry note - told you there was a bit rolling about up there. hopefully more to come soon....

No comments: